Sunday, October 12, 2014

Negation in the test!

Hi there dearest readers!
Hope everything is ok with you guys...

This week we had our midterm, I don't think I went bad in it, but there was a question in the test, if I'm not mistaken question 2, in which we had to negate a mathematical sentence, that for me was very confusing.

And it was not just negating, in that symbolic sentence we had to negate just the predicate.

Something like:

\forall \!\,\in \!\, X , \forall \!\,y \in \!\, X \exists \!\,z \in \!\, X, x X y = z

And in the exercise we had to negate just the predicate. So:

x X y = z

And my problem was, how can I negate a multiplication? In the test I just thought, ok, so it must be the division.

Researching for this post, I remembered a thing, so basic. That the "and" operator is a way of representing multiplication, so basically:

x X y = z      =      ((x \and \!\, y) \Rightarrow \!\, z)

Translating the implication by its and/or form we arrive at:

(¬ (x \and \!\, y)  \or \!\, z)

Negating this sentence by De Morgan's law we arrive at:

¬ ( (x \and \!\, y) \and \!\, ¬ z )

I think that is the negation of the first sentence, I just thought that would be interesting to present something in this form to its derivation. Please, if my calculations, or logic are wrong, comment! 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ruggi,

    I can see you have done a nice work understanding the problem. A good way to negate x * y = z is to say that x * y ≠ z. Also, if you want to negate an implication, the best way to do it is to say that the antecedent is true and that the consequent is false; i.e the negation of (x ∧ y) ⇒ z could be (x ∧ y) ∧ ˥ z. I hope this helps. By the way, really nice work, keep it up and feel free to comment on my blog: http://ttesttrying.blogspot.com/

    All the best,
    Christian

    ReplyDelete